The Lee County Port Authority was first established by Special Act of the Florida Legislature on May 10, 1963, Chapter 63-1541, Laws of Florida. The Special Act became effective on Nov. 6, 1963 upon ratification by the electors of Lee County at a special election held for that purpose.
On Aug. 11, 1987, the Lee Board of County Commissioners implemented the provisions of Chapter 63-1541 by adopting Lee County Resolution No. 87-8-9, creating the Lee County Port Authority as a body corporate to operate the two County airports, Page Field and Southwest Florida International Airport (then known as Southwest Florida Regional Airport). The Resolution was subsequently adopted as an ordinance, to be known as the Lee County Port Authority Ordinance, Lee County Ordinance No. 90-02, later repealed and replaced by Lee County Ordinance No. 01-14.
The Lee County Port Authority operates as a dependent special district of Lee County, Florida under the authority of Chapter 63-1541, Laws of Florida, Lee County Ordinance No. 01-14 and Chapters 125 and 332, Florida Statutes.
The purpose of the Lee County Port Authority is to manage and operate the Lee County public use airports, currently Page Field and Southwest Florida International Airport, and exercise the rights, duties and authority outlined in Chapter 63-1541, Laws of Florida, Lee County Ordinance No. 01-14 and Chapter 332, Florida Statutes.
The Lee County Port Authority exercises authority over the areas whose boundaries coincide with the boundaries of Page Field and Southwest Florida International Airport. The Port Authority also exercises jurisdiction over various Airport Mitigation Lands in Lee County (map available upon request).
The Port Authority is authorized to construct, improve, finance, operate and maintain airport facilities to provide commercial air transportation, general aviation and related services for Lee County and the surrounding area.
Florida Legislature and Lee County, Florida